No products in the cart.
Organic Las Lajas
Roast Level: Medium + Notes: Creamy, Honeyed, Lively
The Chacon Family has been growing coffee at Finca Las Lajas for over 80 years. We were lucky enough to meet Oscar and Francisca on our last visit to Costa Rica. Third-generation coffee farmers, 100% dedicated to organic cultivation. They specializes in a kind of coffee drying called ‘Honey Process’. Essentially the outer skin is removed from the coffee cherry, but mucilage is left on the bean. The end result is an interesting mix of ripe fruit flavors and an intensely sweet cup.
Different designations of white, yellow, red and black honey are commonly used among Central and South American farmers and commonly refer to differences in:
- Amount of mucilage left on the bean after pulping
- How the beans are dried (i.e. direct sunlight or shaded conditions)
- Length of time and conditions under which the beans are dried.
Red Honey Process:
- 80-90% of the mucilage remains on the bean
- Bean are dried on raised beds in the shade
- Beans are raked twice a day during the drying process